Save Our Climate Act
The Save Our Climate Act of 2011 (H.R. 3242) was introduced in October of 2011 by Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA). It calls for a gradually-increasing tax on carbon-based fuels with most revenue being returned to individuals and some revenue committed to reducing the federal debt. During 2012, Citizens Climate Lobby is built support for SOCA to demonstrate the political will for the carbon fee and dividend approach to addressing climate change.
While it served as a good way to restart the conversation about pricing carbon, SOCA is expected to die at the end of this Congress, and new legislation will be introduced in 2013.
- Text of Save Our Climate Act (H.R. 3242)
- Frequently Asked Questions about H.R. 3242
- Write a letter to ask your member of Congress to co-sponsor H.R. 3242
- Quick action: Use PopVox to send a message to your member of Congress about H.R. 3242
- Action to support SOCA: Ask organizations, businesses, faith communities and people of influence to sign a letter of support for the Save Our Climate Act
- Letter of support for the Save Our Climate Act
- Sample resolution for communites of faith
- Statements from religious leaders and faith-based communities on climate change
- 501C-3 guidelines for faith communities