Citizens’ Climate Lobby and Citizens’ Climate Education exist to empower citizens to build the political will for a livable planet. We seek a visionary leader for our nonpartisan organization of over 40 staff and 200,000 volunteers who believe that a strong democracy is the ultimate solution to climate change. Join and lead CCL/CCE, the most powerful nonprofit force for effective bipartisan climate change policy initiatives. Inspire and lead hundreds of thousands of grassroots volunteers passionately in the fight to move effective climate policies forward. There is no more impactful work to be done than this, and there is no more critical time to do it than now.
Leadership & Management
- Ensure ongoing program excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance, administration, operations, fundraising, communications, and systems; manage timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Support existing and grow new membership; actively engage and energize Citizens’ Climate volunteers, board members, partner organizations, and funders.
- Build partnerships with thought leaders, funders, political leaders and organizations with compatible climate-related goals.
- Maintain strong, collaborative relationships with the Boards of Directors.
- Lead, coach, develop and retain staff and foster a highly effective leadership team and culture.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress and regularly evaluate program components to measure successes.
- In collaboration with CFO, develop annual budget, track cash flow, report quarterly financials to the board, ensure the annual audit is completed.
- Lead Board and staff in the development and execution of an organizational strategic planning process to fulfill Citizens’ Climate’s mission
Fundraising & Communications
- In partnership with Director of Development, cultivate a culture of philanthropy in support of the mission.
- Personally engage in fundraising and support and empower development staff.
- Meet or exceed fundraising goals, expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion.
- Work in partnership with Director of Communications to oversee all aspects of communications— from web presence to external relations–with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Amplify external presence and media to promote the work of Citizens’ Climate.
- Commitment to CCE/CCL mission and goals, proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
- Excellence in organizational management; ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to planning and leading the organization.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Leads and supports a culture of effective collaboration among diverse teams of people.
- Knowledge of and commitment to key climate policy goals and actions such as carbon fee and dividend.
- Extensive leadership experience, track record of effectively leading a performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth or effectiveness; preference for at least 10 years of senior management experience.
- Experience in building and working with or leading a grassroots organization, preferred.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and/or comparable experience building relationships with donors or customers and fostering development staff
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; persuasive and passionate communicator, excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion with regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability, and political affiliation. Bring awareness of important issues to all our volunteers and foster a sense of belonging to our organization through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and/or work across politically diverse coalitions, including Republicans, Democrats, and Independents from across the country.
- Experience fostering strong institutional or organizational partnerships and/or coalitions.
Reporting to the CCL/CCE Boards of Directors, the Executive Director will lead a senior leadership team and staff of approximately 40, located across the country. This is a remote leadership position leading a national grassroots organization.
Salary Range: $150,000 – $180,000 per year annual salary, commensurate with experience. Benefits for a full-time position include health insurance, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, paid vacation, and a 401K retirement plan.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Evening and weekend hours are necessary when working with volunteers and staff across multiple time zones. Travel is expected.
To Apply or Nominate a Potential Candidate:
Citizens’ Climate Lobby / Education has retained the services of Dan Kuhar and Chris Spagnola, Partners at ThinkingAhead Executive Search. To submit your resume and expression of interest or to nominate a potential candidate, please email Dan and Chris at: