Citizens’ Climate Lobby Intern (Unpaid internship/volunteer opportunity)
CCL’s mission is to create the political will for a sustainable climate and to empower individuals to have breakthroughs in exercising their personal and political power. CCL is a national nonpartisan non-profit with educational programs and lobbying activities (designations of 501 (c-3) and 501 (c-4)). This intern position’s purpose is to support the expansion of CCL and support of our volunteers in the field.
INTERN POSITION REPORTS TO: CCL Staff at Coronado, CA office, Director of Operations, Encinitas, CA, Legislative Director, Washington, DC, Communications Director, Atlanta, GA or Program Director, Madison, WI.
SCHEDULE/TIME COMMITMENT: Interns will complete 10 hours per week for 6 months, generally weekdays 9-2pm (openings vary)
INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES (varies by location):
- Learn CCL advocacy methodologies; participate in monthly conference calls
- Data entry using Salesforce – CRM (Confidentiality agreement required) Congressional research for biographies and meetings
- Cross checking field reports, uploading data to website, etc.
- Administrative support including email correspondence, and various clerical tasks
- Learn how to make appointments with members of Congress and coach volunteers on this process
- Annual conference planning (event planning)
- Research on energy policy, economics, congressional records, health effects of climate change, etc.
- Assist with outreach follow up for prospective volunteer interest
- Edit and improve existing training and outreach materials
- Correspond with new volunteers to monitor progress and provide training support
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google docs, Internet, email and Skype functions
- Passion for environmental advocacy; interest in government and political science Work collaboratively and meet deadlines
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with attention to details and timeliness
- Phone skills to include upbeat tone and active listening abilities
- Writing, proof reading and Internet research skills
As a grassroots organization interns are unpaid. Interns at staff locations are supervised and trained by CCL/CCEC staff. We do not provide Workers Compensation Insurance for interns or volunteers. Internship may have both remote/virtual responsibilities as well as outreach activities at various locations. We do not suggest relocating for this unpaid internship and we do not provide any housing or relocation assistance.