Citizens’ Climate Lobby Intern (Unpaid internship/volunteer opportunity)
CCL’s mission is to create the political will for a sustainable climate and to empower individuals to have breakthroughs in exercising their personal and political power. CCL is a national nonpartisan non-profit with educational programs and lobbying activities (designations of 501 (c-3) and 501 (c-4)). This intern position’s purpose is to support the expansion of CCL and support of our volunteers in the field.
INTERN POSITION REPORTS TO: CCL Staff at Coronado, CA office, Director of Operations, Encinitas, CA, Legislative Director, Washington, DC, Communications Director, Atlanta, GA or Program Director, Madison, WI.
SCHEDULE/TIME COMMITMENT: Interns will complete 10 hours per week for 6 months, generally weekdays 9-2pm (openings vary)
INTERN RESPONSIBILITIES (varies by location):
- Learn CCL advocacy methodologies; participate in monthly conference calls
- Data entry using Salesforce – CRM (Confidentiality agreement required) Congressional research for biographies and meetings
- Cross checking field reports, uploading data to website, etc.
- Administrative support including email correspondence, and various clerical tasks
- Learn how to make appointments with members of Congress and coach volunteers on this process
- Annual conference planning (event planning)
- Research on energy policy, economics, congressional records, health effects of climate change, etc.
- Assist with outreach follow up for prospective volunteer interest
- Edit and improve existing training and outreach materials
- Correspond with new volunteers to monitor progress and provide training support
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google docs, Internet, email and Skype functions
- Passion for environmental advocacy; interest in government and political science Work collaboratively and meet deadlines
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with attention to details and timeliness
- Phone skills to include upbeat tone and active listening abilities
- Writing, proof reading and Internet research skills
As a grassroots organization interns are unpaid. Interns at staff locations are supervised and trained by CCL/CCEC staff. We do not provide Workers Compensation Insurance for interns or volunteers. Internship may have both remote/virtual responsibilities as well as outreach activities at various locations. We do not suggest relocating for this unpaid internship and we do not provide any housing or relocation assistance.
For internship opportunities to work with your local CCL group please visit: https://citizensclimatehighered.org/chapter-interns/