Citizens’ Climate Radio Ep 26: In deep water
Citizens’ Climate Radio is a monthly podcast hosted by CCL volunteer Peterson Toscano. Browse all our past episode recaps here, or listen to past episodes here, and check out the latest episode in the post below.
Superstorm Sandy shocked the New York Metropolitan area in 2012. By some freak coincidence, right before this epic storm hit, Edgar Westerhof moved to New York City from the Netherlands. Not only does he come from a country that knows a lot about flooding, but Edgar is also an expert in integrated urban water management.
Since Sandy, Edgar has become the National Director for Flood Risk and Resiliency for Arcadis North America. In this episode, he talks about his experiences with Sandy and how this devastating storm could have been even worse. What role does cultural identity have in developing a relationship with the sea? Peterson also checks in with his friend Julia Wallace, who experienced the storm and lived without power in NYC for five days.
Author Elizabeth Rush reads from her new book, “Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore.” She traveled to U.S. coastal communities to hear from residents about sea level rise. The encroaching waters threaten these communities, but the crisis is also waking people up to the growing risks of climate change.
Do you enjoy the Puzzler section of our show? We are considering replacing it with another segment, but we would love to hear from you before we do. Let Peterson know if you want him to continue offering the Puzzler. Email him at radio @ citizensclimate.org.
- Yale Climate Connections: Innovations in Post-Sandy Rebuilding Efforts
- The Dryline: BIG’s Vision for NYC (video)
- The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel flood protection doors designed by Arcadis
- NYC EDC – Southern Manhattan Coastal Protection Study – report
- National Disaster Resiliency Competition (New York City, Norfolk, New Orleans >$400M awarded grants)
- NYC East Side Coastal Resiliency Flood Protection Design
- Verizon Flood Protection Study & Design
- New York City Health and Hospital Corporation – Flood Protection Studies & Design
- New York City Transit – Flood Protection Analyses and Design
- Coney Island Creek Barrier & Wetland Feasibility Study
- USACE NY District – Jamaica Bay Reformulation Study
- Nassau County Sewage Treatment Plant Flood Protection Design
- NYC EDC – Special Initiative for Rebuild and Resilience (SIRR)
- Federal HUD – Rebuild by Design, BIG U Protection Lower Manhattan
You can hear Citizens’ Climate Radio on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, SoundCloud, Podbean, Northern Spirit Radio, Google Play, PlayerFM, and TuneIn Radio. Also, feel free to connect with other listeners, suggest program ideas, and respond to programs in the Citizens’ Climate Radio Facebook group or on Twitter at @CitizensCRadio.
If you listen on iTunes, please consider rating and reviewing us!