Citizens’ Climate Radio, Ep. 30: What does the Bible say about climate change?
Citizens’ Climate Radio is a monthly podcast hosted by CCL volunteer Peterson Toscano. Browse all our past episode recaps here, or listen to past episodes here, and check out the latest episode in the post below.
In this episode of Citizens’ Climate Radio, three American Evangelicals consider faith, theology, and global warming. Kyle Meyaard Schaap and Corina Newsome from Young Evangelicals for Climate Action (YECA), along with Rev. Josh Gibson, pastor of Emmanuel Bible Fellowship Church in Pennsylvania, chat with podcast host Peterson Toscano about the Bible, stewardship, loving our neighbor, heaven, and earth. Discover how these Evangelicals approach the often political topic of climate change, and learn how to connect with Bible believers, who may not consider themselves environmentalists but who care very much for what happens to people and to our earthly home.
In this section of the episode, Peterson Toscano also creates a fictional persona called Tony Buffusio to explore the question “What does the Bible say about climate change?” He tells the story of Joseph in the book of Genesis, who lives in Egypt during a time of temporary regional shifts in the climate. Not only does he predict changes in weather patterns, he develops a plan of how to look after the people. Peterson is a Bible scholar with a passion for looking after the welfare of people who are affected by extreme weather events.
This month, we hear from Jay Greene in Salisbury, England. She tells us what her faith has to do with climate change. Since this is such a rich question, we want to keep it open another month. Here’s the puzzler:
Louis, someone you know from your faith community, asks why are you involved in climate change work. You say, “Lots of reasons, but a big part is because of my faith.” Louis looks puzzled. He asks, “Climate change? What’s faith got to do with it?” What do you say to Louis? How is climate change connected to your faith or religion or spiritual practice? What do you have to add to this topic?
Send Peterson your answers by December 10, 2018, along with your name, contact info, and where you are from. You can email your answers to radio @ citizensclimate.org or leave a voicemail of 3 minutes or less at (518) 595-9414 (+1 if calling from outside the USA).
- Here is a list of the various Bible passages referenced in the episode. You can look up these verses at BibleGateway: Genesis 1:26, Genesis 2:15, Leviticus 25:4, Psalm 24:1,2, Psalm 104:10-15, Colossians 1:15, Revelation 21, Matthew 25:31-46, Romans 8:19-21
- Stopping Climate Change is Part of Following Jesus by Kyle Meyaard-Schaap (Relevant Magazine)
- YECA resource list of books for Christians interested in learning more about climate change and creation care.
- Evangelical Climate Initiative
- Operation Noah, a Christian charity working with the church to inspire action on climate change
- The Christian Climate Professor Bridging the Gap Between Faith and Science. (Quartz)
- Citizens Climate Lobby Faith Outreach
You can hear Citizens’ Climate Radio on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, SoundCloud, Podbean, Northern Spirit Radio, Google Play, PlayerFM, and TuneIn Radio. Also, feel free to connect with other listeners, suggest program ideas, and respond to programs in the Citizens’ Climate Radio Facebook group or on Twitter at @CitizensCRadio.
If you listen on iTunes, please consider rating and reviewing us!