Posted on May 29, 2015 in CCL News
3 weeks until the CCL/CCE conference in DC; let’s price carbon!
By Ashley Hunt-MartoranoAt the very first CCL/CCE Conference in 2010 there were 24 people in attendance. So far this year, we have 12 states sending more than that number (and in one case, California will be sending over five times that number!).
With over 800 registrants and less than three days to go until the registration deadline of 5/31, this is going to be our biggest and best conference and lobbying effort to date.
Some of the amazing things we have planned for June 21-23 include:
- An inspiring and informational Group Leader session on Sunday morning led by CCL Executive Director, Mark Reynolds, and CCL Program Director, Madeleine Para.
- A state and regional strategy session Sunday afternoon OR if you are new to CCL, the “basic training” session, also known as a Group Start Workshop.
- Advanced lobby training on Sunday evening led by our Legislative Director, Dr. Danny Richter, including a fun, new game show-themed interactive training that promises to help us become even more effective citizen lobbyists.
- A Sunday evening presentation about messaging on climate change by founder and president of ecoAmerica, Bob Perkowitz.
- A Monday morning Keynote presentation by atmospheric scientist, Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, who was one of Time Magazine’s top 100 Most Influential People in the world for 2014.
- A panel we’re calling “Ask the Experts,” where climate scientist Dr. James Hansen, economist Shi-Ling Hsu, and sustainable business and investment expert, Anne Kelly from Ceres will open with some remarks about their respective sectors and then take your questions.
- 29, yes, you read that right, 29 breakout presentations on Monday afternoon on just about every topic area as it relaSavetes to climate change and policy (check out a full list of the topics and speakers here).
- An exciting Monday night conversation with “Chasing Ice” Director, Jeff Orlowski, and “Years of Living Dangerously” Producer, Daniel Abbasi, followed by a DJ, dancing, and fun photobooth.
- And lobbying all 535 members of Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday!
With only 24 days left until the conference kicks off, we’ve had over 300 lobby meetings with members of Congress (MoC) and their staff scheduled so far.
Many thanks to all of our amazing volunteers for all the work you are doing to make our conference one to remember. Whether you are setting lobby meeting appointments, updating MoC biographies, holding in-district pre-conference meetings with your MoCs, making plans to come to Washington, crafting or moderating a breakout presentation, helping support your other chapter members in getting to D.C., or spreading the word about CCL, our policy, and our conference, we cannot do this vital work without you.
You know what the CCL Staff are most excited about for this year’s conference? Seeing YOU there, getting to meet our newest volunteers, hearing about all the wonderful work that you continue to do in the field, and bonding with this extended family of everyday climate heroes.
See you in D.C.!
Ashley Hunt-Martorano is CCL’s Director of Marketing and Events.