Request for witnesses at Energy and Power climate change hearing Sept. 18
On Sept. 18, the Energy and Power Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee will hold a hearing on climate change titled, “The Obama Administration’s Climate Change Policies and Activities.” The heads of 13 federal agencies have been invited to testify.
Many House members have been critical of the President’s plan to use EPA regulations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Given the need for action on climate change, though, the upcoming hearing needs to be more than a forum to critique the President’s plan. Leadership of Energy and Power should use the hearing as an opportunity to present alternative solutions to the regulatory approach. One such solution, supported by a growing number of conservatives is the market-based approach of a revenue-neutral carbon tax that gives money back to households.
Ask your representative to contact Energy and Power chairman Ed Whitfield and urge him to invite conservative, expert witnesses who can testify about this market-based approach.
- Art Laffer, former economist for President Reagan
- Greg Mankiw, former economic advisor to President George W. Bush and Mitt Romney
- Andrew Moylan, R Street Institute, a conservative think tank
- Gary Becker, Hoover Institution fellow and Nobel Prize winning economist
- George Shultz, former Secretary of State under Ronald Reagan